Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Good Morning!

Well, after a beautiful day out yesterday, and a not so early night last night, I've already been awake for nearly two hours. Ethan is slowly (and I mean very, stubbornly, slowly) learning that he's no longer welcome to wake up and hop in to my bed during the night, and it is helping him sleep longer before waking up for his bottle (thanks for the tip on mixing milk with water Kristi, because I not only think it's stopping his hunger for milk during the night, it is increasing his hunger during the day). So he's sleeping for about 8 hours straight now before waking and then trying it on. Which gives me a bit more sleep myself, in a big long block, which is suuuuper nice after 2.5years!

So, long story short, I'm feeling well rested. I also changed my focus on food last week, and started to get my fruit and vegies delivered to my door. I am proud to say that we will have eaten nearly 9 kilos of beautiful fresh vegies since last wednesday! I usually use frozen, or skip them and have eggs on toast or cereal a lot, because basically it was easy and sometimes I just couldn't find quality produce for a decent affordable price. But no more! I got 9kilos delivered to my door with a dozen eggs last week and it only cost me $32! We have had salad and loads of yummy dishes, including Orange TeaCake (care of the Stephanie Alexander recipe below), and hopefully this week I'll try my hand at some Carrot Cake too. I've got some big plans to start learning how to store fruit and vegies in the forms of jams, cakes and preserved in oil, vinegar, etc. It'll be a bumpy ride, but you're welcome on board!

Orange Tea Cake in Muffin size

Prior to having the delivery, my iron levels were 17, and before pregnancy they were 53. I have no real idea what that means, but the doc said it's not great. Wonder what they'll be this week!

Anyway, I've just come in to share my delicious eggs this morning. Well, they have been shared, with Ethan, but this is what they looked like at first....

Our breakfast - we often just eat together,
I find Ethan eats more if he thinks it's mine!


I put in some baby spinach, mushrooms and some lemon zest and pepper. They were served on homemade bread, and only took me about 5 minutes from start to stacking the plate.

Which brings me to todays little lesson for me...I really am loving being a full time, no-job-that-pays-cash mum. I'm going to continue to have my moments, but today is another beautiful day, Ethan is already adventuring around the house, making roads for his car out of cardboard boxes (I MUST show you the car one day, his Auntie Kylie painted it herself and we think it's fantastic!) and looking out the windows at the people gardening and trimming the park across the road. We've got to go on our monthly book hunt around the house shortly, I've got to get dressed and we're going to our friend's home for morning tea before going to the library and then returning home again for the afternoon. So although I'm economising our outings to focus our centre more on our home, we are still keeping ourselves in the community and making even the most spend-less activities exciting.

Hope your adventures are many and frugal today, and that you find some inspiration in your children to keep a smile on your face.

Afternoon Orange Tea Cake Recipe (c/o Stephanie Alexander's The Cook's Companion)
1 Large Orange or Mandarin
2 Eggs
125grams softened butter
1/4 cup castor sugar
225gram self raising flour

Preheat oven to 190celcius, butter a 20cm ring tin (or a muffin tray!). Combine all ingredients in a food processor and whiz for about 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Pour into tin and bake for 30-35 mins (or about 15 for muffin size). Cool for 5 minutes before turning on to a wire rack. Cool before icing.

Icing: Beat 2 cups icing sugar, 1 teaspoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon orange or mandarin juice, 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier until smooth, and then mix in 1 tablespoon of sugared or candied peel. Spread over cake.

*I didn't put on the icing, and I hardly ever do with any cakes I make. Ethan isn't confirmed as being 'sensitive' to anything, or having any allergies, but I myself notice a distinct change in his behaviour and ability to concentrate if he has too much added sugar in his diet. So I try not to add it to much at all, unless it's cooked in to a meal or snack. That's not to say that I would recommend an icing with liquer in it for any other children either! But it's in the recipe, so treat your self if you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks to anyone who comments on my blog. I don't always have time every day to check, but I do check often so please comment away!